Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Solana Lost a Tooth!

Yesterday Solana pointed out to me that she's growing a new tooth behind her loose tooth. I took a look and, sure 'nuff, there it was. A little bit of white was poking out of her gums right behind her loose tooth. The fact that her loose tooth seemed far from falling out made me nervous. I called the dentist. They said to encourage wiggling and twisting. Eww. Just the thought gave me the heeby-jeebies. And just after I finally got that finger out of her mouth... I gave Solana a tissue and said, "Go for it. You need to wiggle your tooth out within the week. If not, the dentist will want to pull it." By the time she went to bed she was proudly showing me blood on a tissue. I went weak in the knees and congratulated her for her perseverance.

After school today Solana jumped off the bus yelling, "Mommy! Mommy! My tooth fell out at school!" If I didn't see it I wouldn't believe it!



Interesting Solana tooth fact. You can see that she has four teeth remaining on either side of the missing tooth. Knowing that this is her first lost tooth you may think, "Hmm. That doesn't make sense. If she lost only one tooth shouldn't she have four on one side and five on the other?" The answer to your question is, "Yes." That is, if two of her teeth weren't fused together. The tooth that you see to the right side of her gap is actually two in one. They say the permanents will grow in as two. That just happens sometimes with baby teeth. Weird, huh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute! FYI - I used to always get my permanent teeth behind the baby teeth. I managed to wiggle some out, others had to be pulled. My mom used to call me shark teeth :-)

A Goldsworthy Note said...

After we got off of the phone I realized I didn't ask what the tooth fairy left for Solana.

Emily and Troy Williams said...

Warning: Teeth may come in sideways. Do not be alarmed. This is normal. :)

When Michael's first two permanent teeth started coming in, they were turned sideways and I thought "That kid is going to have one hell of an orthodontist bill." BUT, the dentist said it was normal and, sure enough, they've turned in the right direction.

Oh, and YAY Solana! I made Troy pull the tooth that Michael lost here at home as well. :) The first three he lost at Camp Grandparents, so I didn't have to do anything!

Grammy said...

I sure do hope the tooth fairy found her way to your house!