Thursday, September 20, 2012

Glaucoma

Chloe had her annual EUA (Exam Under Anesthesia) this morning. I was nervous as usual. There seem to be changes every time. Last time she had a dramatic RX change. Her right eye got a lot more near-sighted. 

Today she did really well prepping for surgery. The nurses were amazed at how easily she took her eye drops. She's well-practiced at getting drops, though. She gets them from me and the nurse at school every day. They're just re-wetting drops to keep her contacts from drying out and irritating her but they're good practice for all the drops she gets on surgery day. She gets 12 total. Two drops in each eye of each: numbing, dilating, and antibacterial, I believe. They all loved her. She's very charming. Even when she says, "no way" to a simple request.

Here she is heading off to her procedure. Kitty kept her company. Kitty is a boy, by the way, who is still referred to with all female pronouns. I find it very confusing and keep thinking 'he' is a she.


Anyway, enough with the fun little memories. Chloe was diagnosed with glaucoma today. Her right eye pressure was 13 and her left eye was 30. Under 23 is ok. 30 is scary and can lead to blindness. We have to get that pressure under control. She has to work hard enough to make it through the day with partial vision in her left eye. I don't want her to have no vision in that eye. The doctor prescribed medicated drops (cosopt) to try and lower the pressure. After doing a little research I read that the drops burn likeamother (one website called them "satan's tears"). Great. But when I called the doctor he said that's probably more common in older adults who may have dry eyes. She gets one drop twice a day. I put the night time drop in after she was fast asleep and that went well. I'm not sure how I'll handle the morning drop, though. 

Fingers crossed that they work for her without any of the scary side effects listed. We're going back in a month and he'll touch her eyeball with a little pen to test the pressure. I'm REALLY looking forward to that. Let me tell you. The doctor said he thinks she'll be ok with it since she's used to me touching her eyes so much. I sure hope he's right. Me reaching into her eye at home usually has a different reaction than someone else reaching toward her eye in a doctor's office, though... There might be a little wrestling and perspiration involved but we can't be putting her under gas every month so we don't have much of a choice. 

Hoping for the best. Also terrified. Worry is my middle name.

Oh, I almost forgot about the other fun memories. We got out of there at about 11am. Chloe couldn't eat before anesthesia so at that point she had only consumed 1/2 cup of apple juice and a couple of graham cracker packets. She charmed the second packet from the nurse but it was time to go when she finished the second packet. She was hungry and less than pleased when I deprived her of a third packet. She was very charming on the way home. I don't think I've ever seen her so hungry. I'm glad today is over. I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

The Hillbergs said...

Oh no -- poor chloe. And her day was so awful - hungry, people poking at her, people putting eye drops in her, and waking up from anesthesia. I wish I had some ideas on how to make this all easier. It just sounds awful. And medicine called "satan's tears"? omg. Does she have a favorite food? Shannon will do almost anything for one of those fruit smoothies in the baby aisle. Maybe you could bribe her? I'm so sorry about her eyes -- its even worse being her mama! the horrible irony of having to cause pain in order to help her! :(