Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Homemade Play-Doh

Between the holidays, the cold weather, and snow/ice days off from school, the girls have been spending an awful lot of time indoors. I try to limit screen time. And by screen time I mean TV, XBox, IPad, IPhone, Computer, etc. It's hard to keep them occupied and still get my chores done. Last year I made them their rice bin. This year we made several batches of play-doh. I love this stuff so much! It's super soft and it lots of fun to make. I always have the ingredients on hand and can add lots of fun ingredients like lemon extract and vanilla to make it smell really nice. We added glitter to a couple of batches but I added that in during the kneading process because I was nervous about scratching my pan.

Here's the recipe that I got from this blog: http://www.kristanlynn.com/2011/09/best-play-dough-recipe.html

Ingredients: 1 C Flour
1 C Water
1/4 C Salt
1 TBSP Vegetable Oil
2 tsp Cream of Tarter
Food Coloring (actual coloring or a kool-aid packet will do)
Sparkles (If you wanna be a fun mom!)
Sauce Pan and Wooden Spoon 
Little helping hands.

--Pour in all ingredients. 
--Stir until everything is mixed well.
--Once the mixture is (mostly) clump free. Heat over MEDIUM heat. 
--Stir. Don’t stop stirring. After a few minutes it will start to clump up.
--Just keep stirring until the Play Dough is formed. It will  form one big clump. 
--Remove from heat, and knead by hand. 
--Once cooled it’s ready to go.
--I like to store it in ziploc baggies.


No comments: