Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Look Ma! No Blood!

I found a great recipe for french toast and made it for the second time this morning. You have to cook it first in the frying pan and then in the oven. I'd never put my french toast in the oven before. It's a great recipe. If you're looking for a fantastic french toast recipe I highly recommend it. If you go to this website you can print out the recipe and watch the video demonstration by Alton Brown on Good Eats.

Ingredients
1 cup half-and-half (I used whole milk one time)
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds (I left this out once)
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 (1/2-inch) slices day-old or stale country loaf, brioche or challah bread (I used Italian and challah. Both were great!)
4 tablespoons butter

Directions
1. In medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, honey, and salt. You may do this the night before. When ready to cook, pour custard mixture into a pie pan and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and then remove to a cooling rack that is sitting in a sheet pan, and allow to sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch nonstick saute pan. Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on rack in oven for 5 minutes. Repeat with all 8 slices. Serve immediately with maple syrup, whipped cream or fruit

Solana was my helper this morning. She sliced the strawberries using our egg slicer. I decided that she was also big enough to cut the tops off the strawberries. What an exciting moment to be handed a paring knife for the first time!!! She told me over and over how careful she'd be. And after some instruction and a few closely monitored cuts I let her finish while I worked on the french toast. After a couple of minutes I asked, "How's it going?"

She replied, "Great! And I'm not even bleeding! Not one little bit. Not even a single drop of blood!"

I agreed that this was a good thing. :-)

2 comments:

The Hillbergs said...

Sounds tasty!! (the french toast, not the blood) -- I will give it a try!!

carol anne said...

What a big girl!