Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Refrigerator Mishap

We have a second refrigerator in the garage. It's home to extra food -- the stuff we buy multiples at each shopping trip and move to our kitchen fridge as needed: gallons of milk, containers of yogurt, and eggs. We also keep sodas (that I no longer drink and are probably stale), cases of Horizon chocolate and strawberry milk (Solana's treats), and juice boxes. Most recently, it began duty as Dave's beer fridge. I'm talking about the beer that Dave painstakingly makes...

It's great to have a garage fridge. The only problem is that the door doesn't close all the way on its own. You have to actually press it at the very end to make sure it seals. Otherwise, it could stay open by an inch or two without anyone knowing it. And Solana has been busted several times leaving the door just a little open. Can you guess where this is going?

Yep. Yesterday morning I asked Solana to get a carton of Chloe's full fat plain Greek yogurt (great mixed with fruit purees) for me. I always ask, "did you close the refrigerator?" Sometimes she says, "yes," and sometimes, "let me just go double-check." There was a breakdown somewhere in my great system yesterday morning which led to Dave saying, "Solana's not allowed in the garage fridge anymore." He said this at 8:30pm.

12 hours. That's about how long the fridge was open before he discovered it. All of his beer was totally warm. Big oops. I felt super bad since I was the one who'd sent her out there. We suspect it might all be bad but hope not.

I suppose it could be worse. The hefeweizen wasn't out there yet... ;-)

2 comments:

carol anne said...

Uh, sorry, she is related to my kids.

We also have an extra fridge -- well, 2 extra, and almost everything is stored in those ones because they are on the ground level and it is easier to unload from the van.
We just have one of the kids run things up to the kitchen...

So my big kids have left them open no less that 10 times in the last 5 years!
Our favorite, which has only happened 3 times --is when they have left the FREEZER open.
Overnight.

At least Solana has the excuse of being 6, Paige just did it last week and she is 13!

And since my kids do it to, doesn't it make it genetically DAVE's fault and not yours?
;)

Holbergs said...

I must say, I love the last sentence of Carol's comment.